The development of Shanghai from 1987 to 2013.
Images: Reuters / Stringer, Carlos Barria
2017 Shanghai International Marathon, Maps, Registration
Shanghai Marathon course is very flat with a few bridges of very mild slopes. It starts at the Bund and finishes at Shanghai Stadium. Click here for more details.
I. Date & Place of Races:
1) 7:00 am. Nov. 12, 2017 (Sunday)
2) Starting line: Bund Bull
3) Finish line of Full and Half Marathon: Shanghai Stadium
4) Finish line of 10km Run: Fuxing Park
5) Finish line of Mini Marathon: Shanghai Exhibition Center
II. Period of Registration:
1) Priority Registration:
Starts at 10:00 am. Aug. 29, and closes at 17:00 pm. Sept.12. Qualified applicants will automatically be granted entry after completion of registration and payment.
2) Regular Registration：
1） Pre-registration: Starts at 10:00 am. Aug. 29, and closes at 17:00 pm. Sept. 2.
2） Announcement of ballot results: Sept. 9 – Afternoon
3） Date of payment: Afternoon of Sept. 9 after ballot results are announced, and closes at 17:00 pm. Sept.12. Non-payment will result will not qualify you for the race.
Shangma Charity- 2016 SIM Charity Entry, Registration will remain open on a first-come first-served basis until the maximum field size of 500 places is reached between August 29 and September 12 (10:00 am to 17:00 pm).
III. Race Distances:
1. Men’s and Women’s Marathon (42.195 km)
2. Men’s and Women’s Half Marathon (21.0975 km)
3. Men’s and Women’s 10km Run
4. Men’s and Women’s Mini Marathon
IV. Race Courses:
See Maps and Course Profile
V. Entry Age Requirements
Full Marathon – 20 years old before December 31 of this year
Half Marathon and 10 km Run, – 16 years old before December 31 of this year), have been a long-distance runner on a regular basis, and provide a health certificate or a physical examination report issued by a registered medical institution (not applicable for 10 km Run) certifying that you are physically fit to run the race.
Mini Marathon – 10 years old before December 31of this year and in good health, with guardian.
VI. Number of Runners
Full Marathon, Half Marathon, 10 km Run and Mini Marathon are limited to 20,000, 8,000, 5,000 and 5,000 runners respectively.
VII. Priority Registration
Runners whose results of the 2015 Shanghai International Marathon, 2016 Shanghai International Half Marathon and 2016 Shangma New Year’s Day Running Event met the standard requirements can register on the Shanghai International Marathon official website or its app via “Priority Registration.”
See the relative requirements below:
The maximum time limit for the full marathon of the 2015 Shanghai International Marathon:
- Men-3 hrs. 25 minutes, Women-3 hrs. 45 minutes. The maximum time limit for the half marathon of the 2015 Shanghai International Marathon: Men-1 hr. 40 minutes, Women-1 hr. 55 minutes.
- Top 200 Men’s and Women’s half marathon entrants in 2016 Shanghai International Half Marathon.
- Top 200 Women’s 8-mile entrants in 2016 Shanghai International Half Marathon will automatically gain spots in the 2016 Shanghai International Marathon’s 10 km or 5 km run.
- Top 50 individual and couple entrants in 2016 Shangma New Year’s Day Running Event will automatically gain spots in the 2016 Shanghai International Marathon’s 10 km or 5 km run.
- Top 8 Men’s and Women’s half marathon tournament entrants, Top 10 Men’s and Women’s racing challenge entrants and 5 randomly selected public health run contestants in Athletics Tournament of the second Citizen Sports Meeting will automatically gain spots in items designated by the Organizing Committee.
All the races above shall meet competition criterion and shall be authorized by Shanghai Distance Running Association.
VIII. Charity Entries
With an aim to create a positive sporting environment for disadvantaged groups and to promote physical fitness nationwide, the Organizing Committee will establish the Shangma Charity Platform this year to allow runners who are looking to get a place in SIM race via a guaranteed charity entry. All registration fees for charity entry will be donated to Shanghai Sports Development Foundation. Moreover, Shangma Foundation will be established to advance the spirit of sport and raise funds to promote physical activities in socially disadvantaged groups as well as the development of mass sports and other sports causes.
Charity entries are available for the full marathon and half marathon.
Please refer to the Notes on Registration for detailed registration information and additional benefits.
IX. Standard Athlete Qualifications Assessment:
According to the regulations of “The organization of marathon standards in China”, standard athlete qualification assessments are only available for tournaments and championships which are held by the Chinese Athletics Association. Therefore the standard athlete qualification assessment will not be held for 2016 Shanghai International Marathon.
People suffering the following diseases are deemed unfit to run the race: congenital or rheumatic heart disease / hypertension or cerebrovascular disease / myocarditis or other cardiac diseases / coronary artery disease or serious arrhythmia / diabetes / pregnant /any other risk-prone diseases.
X. Timing Chips:
8) In the spirit of mutual trust, the organizing committee will not require a timing chip deposit this year. Runners must return the timing chip to the designated place. Those runners that don’t return the timing chip will be banned from participating in next year’s marathon, and their results from this year’s marathon will be null and void.
XI. Rules of Race
1. The races are subject to the latest Rules of the International Association of Athletics Federation and the Rules of Chinese Athletics Association. Runners will be required to take a doping test when deemed necessary.
2. Runners’ numbers (bibs) will be arranged and distributed by the Organizing Committee.
3. All the contestants must present themselves for a roll call at the starting line and assemble at the designated area based on events and bib number at 6:00 am on October 30, 2016. The race starts at 7:00 am.
4. Time limit of each race:
To ensure a successful and safe race, a time limit both for the race and transportation will be set for each individual race. The public transportation will open again after the time limit is passed. Any runner who hasn’t finished the race within the time limit should drop out for safety reasons. Those who quit the race will be able to take the escort coaches provided by OC.
|Mini Marathon||10 K Run （including the finish line of 10 km）||Half Marathon||30 km Run||35 km Run||37 km Run||Marathon Finish line|
|1 hour||1 hour and 30 minutes||3 hours||4 hours and 15 minutes||5 hours and 10 minutes||5 hours and 30 minutes||6 hours and 15 minutes|
For detailed requirements and arrangements of the race, see Things to Know for Contestants (to be handed out together with the bib and the timing chip).
1. Men’s and Women’s Full Marathon：
(1) Award for ranking (USD):
Notes: Men’s full marathon champion must be under 2:09:30; Women’s full marathon champion must be under 2:26:00.
For those champions who don’t meet the standards, the awards will be reduced 50%. Winning athlete results will be posted on the official website for 10 days. After the confirmation of negative doping control results, the awards shall be given.
(2) Awards for breaking records:
a. Award for breaking the world record marathon time: USD 100,000
b. Award for breaking the record time of the Shanghai International Marathon: USD 10,000 (only for 1st place)
c. Only highest dollar award will be provided to any one runner – no combination of awards will be given.
d. Chinese athletes will be awarded with equivalent RMB
(3) According to the Chinese tax regulation, 20% personal income tax will be levied on the winnings.
(4) Any runner who completes the marathon within 6 hours 15 minutes will be awarded with a medal. The certificate of result will be available for self-printing on the official Shanghai International Marathon website 5 working days after the race. Please download the certificate within 90 days. Results will be available to check 24 hours after the race.
2. Men’s and Women’s Half Marathon
(1) Award for ranking (USD):
Notes: The result of the winning athletes will be posted on the official website for 10 days. After that the awards shall be given.
(2) Award for breaking the record time of Shanghai International Marathon: USD 1,000 (1st place only)
(3) Chinese athletes will be awarded in equivalent RMB.
(4) According to the Chinese tax regulation, 20% personal income tax will be levied on the winnings.
(5) Any runner who finishes the half marathon within 3 hours will be awarded with a medal. The certificate of result will be available for self-printing on the Shanghai International Marathon official website 5 working days after the race. Please download the certificate within 90 days. Results will be available to check 24 hours after the race.
3. 10 km Run and Mini Marathon
Contestants of the 10 km Run and Mini Marathon will not be ranked. Every runner will receive a medal and a Certificate of Participation.
The Organizing Committee will implement video surveillance at the departure point, throughout the whole course and the endpoint. In the event any runner commits any of the following offences at any time during the race, the Organizing Committee will disqualify such athlete from the race, order a one-or-two-year suspension or a lifetime ban according to the circumstances:
1. Age or identity fabrication;
2. Racing with more than one chip per person (also including the possibility of one participant wearing timing chip(s) of the other gender);
3. Completing the race in relays;
4. Not following the start order and/or starting at a non-designated area;
5. Not obeying the rules at the starting line;
6. Continuing to race after cutoff time or re-entering the course after dropping out of the race;
7. Not racing along the designated course, taking a shortcut or hitching a ride.
8. Crossing the finish line repeatedly or not completing the whole distance but crossing the finish line to get a finishing medal;
9. Forging bib number, using bib number of races other than 2016 SIM, not wearing bib number, or wearing a timing chip of races other than 2016 SIM to finish the race;
10. Altering or shielding the bib number, or transferring the bib number to another individual;
11. Not following event staff. Rioters who disrupt the race;
12. Other behaviors that violate the rules.
Consequences arising during the race from enrolling by age or identity fabrication or transferring bib number to another individual shall be borne by person involved.
XIV. Technical Officials, Technical Representatives & Judges
The technical officials, technical representatives and judges will be appointed by the Chinese Athletics Association and the Shanghai Athletics Association.
XV. Organizing Committee
Organizing Committee of Shanghai International Marathon
English Hotline: 4001962002 (service time: from 9:00 to 17:00 on working days)
XVI. Issues not covered herein are subject to further notices and updates.
XVII. The power of interpretation of this race is vested in the Shanghai International Marathon Organizing Committee.